If you were out in The Quadrant on Monday morning this week, you’d have seen Jez, along with Jen & Roselle from DigitalJen and Clare Suttie, the mastermind behind St Albans Postboxes wrestling our Postbox topper into place outside the post office. It wasn’t easy as the postbox was frozen but the smiles it generated (clearly our efforts were hilarious too) were well worth it.
54 Postboxes to find
There are 54 postboxes that have received the yarnbomb treatment this year – in St Albans, Wheathampstead, Harpenden, Redbourn and Hemel Hempstead. The problem was, how could people know where they all were?
We were delighted to offer the use of our EYES on St Albans app to enable online Google mapping and to host a competition for people to scan and record each postbox that they find. In return, chief topper crocheter Candy, made our Christmas elves with glasses on for our topper.
How to use the app
You can download our app from the Apple or Google stores – it’s free and you just need to search EYES on St Albans and install it from there.
About the St Albans Postboxes Yarnbomb
- All the toppers are handmade by volunteers – starting in March so that they’re ready for December 1st
- Businesses sponsor the toppers with all money donated going directly to the three charities
- After use, the toppers are washed and as much as possible recycled, ready for next year. They’re not toys and not safe to be sold for extra fundraising – there’s a lot inside holding them together!
- The majority of the 2018 toppers survived snow, frost and rain – it’s the human element that means they go missing or get damaged.
- If you’d like to get involved next year, register your interest via the St Albans Postboxes website
- You can donate to the charities via the St Albans Postboxes website – click on the big “donate now” button
- As well as raising money for charity, the aim of the yarnbomb is to bring our community together and make people smile – something that we totally believe in here at EYES on St Albans.
Be on the App
We’ve noticed that the people downloading the app are looking at all the other features on it too. So, if you’re a business, charity or eaterie and want to be on the app – you can find all the details here – we can have you listed within a day of confirming your place. Equally, if you want your event listed, get in touch too.
Do pop in if you come to see the topper at The Quadrant. We’ve got appointments for eye examinations available up until Christmas, there are consultations for EnChroma left and we also have a range of lovely Christmas gifts in store, including calendars by the the talented 12 year old Giles Smith and the Secrid card wallets. Do tag us too in your pictures of the topper – you can find us everywhere @eyesonstalbans.